7 March 2008

Babbits once more.

Goodness, who would have thought that something as simple as a soft toy called Babbit would be such a nightmare to photograph? I seem to have spent the last few days taking endless pictures of the little thing in a variety of poses and situations so that I can put it on the website; first there ws not enough sun, then there was too much (can there be such a thing?) and all the colour bleached out to leave it looking like a Babbit who had seen better days. Finally I managed to get the photos I was after - I think - and here is the finished version... you can click on the images to enlarge...

First the original picture





and this one which was also shown on my Poltisko Memoirs post




So far, so good but having initially said I would be making a little bag for Babbit containing a hat, shells, etc I was made to do a re-think based on the fact that so many people - both virtual and local - have expressed an interest in buying one for babies. As those of you who read my other post will know, I was making this for Lucy's tenth birthday and was showing it off online! The reaction was truly lovely and Babbit seems to have stolen a few hearts (I have to admit to being more than a little taken with it myself if that's not too big-headed to say!). However, babies and shells don't go, and so I decided to make Babbit a home of her own (may be a boy Babbit - not too sure) which looks like this...




It is made from calico with a calico lining and features an appliqued house. Of course, there was no chance that it wouldn't have a little embroidery on it somewhere - 'Babbit's House' is what I found myself sewing and then it just needed a few flowers either side of the door, some stitching to highlight the walls and the window frames - you know how it is, too much fun to be had!



So there is Babbit and her bag, now available from my website www.pipany.co.uk (blatant advertising but it
is my business blog after all). In fact, I so enjoyed making this one that I am planning a whole range - a little one called Baby Babbit perhaps; a boy one with a stripey top in the best Cornish tradition carrying a bucket and spade called Beach Babbit; hmm, the list seems endless...

Hopping off now (groan!)

Pipany xx

11 comments:

Milla said...

very photogenic he is too. Rather lament having boys of 9 and 11 who are a bit past having a rabbit pushed on them. Although could keep for self ... Best of luck with Babbit and her dear little bag.

Frances said...

Babbit and house are winners! And I so love the way your imagination is already hopping along to some further adventuring babbits.

Well done, Pipany! I really do think that very soon you will have to start interviewing apprentice embroiderers to help you with the volume of orders that are bound to come your way.

xo

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Want one - want one . . .will be over to your website in a whisker.

mountainear said...

Beautiful Babbit!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Pipany this is just lovely. I am sure you will have a lot of orders. Like the idea of the bag of shells for Lucy!

Unknown said...

As a fellow Bunny maker I have to say that Babbit is just adorable !
I love the fabric, he/ she looks so serene. Beautiful !

Pili pala said...

Dear Pipany I've just tried buying a Babbit and a lanender Babbit but I'm doing something wrong with my switch card. Can I send you a cheque??

pink-petal-designs said...

whooooo, i just LOVE these, so cute and the bag is lovely.

Apryl said...

beautiful blog. Pictures and a very adorable babbit georgeous fabric.

Faith said...

Just seen this - lovely Babbit. Maybe another Babbit would be Blogger's Babbit to sit by us while we blog!

A home far away said...

You seem like a very creative person:.) god for you I am not, unfortunately...